What were you doing at the age of 13? Most probably still figuring out what interests you and what not.
Well here is a 13 years old boy from Chennai who has won ‘The World’s Best’ global talent contest recently and taken home $1 million as prize money. Meet Lydian Nadhaswaram, a child prodigy, who stunned the world on March 14, Thursday.
The musical prodigy gave a jaw-dropping set of performance, which included playing two pianos simultaneously, playing the piano blindfolded, playing the piano at breathtaking speeds of 325 beats per minute.
Here are some amazing facts about the teen icon Lydian Nadhaswaram that will leave you bewildered:
• Lydian does not have a formal education, as his father reportedly did not believe in the concept of making little children wake up early and leave for school. He and his sisters are homeschooled under the National Institute of Open Schooling.
• As told by his father to WION, Lydian started playing the drums as a two-year-old and since then there has been no looking back.
• Lydian’s father is a renowned musician Varshan Sathish, who named his son the Lydian mode, which is a seven-tone musical scale, and the latter half from the Nadhaswaram, which is a traditional, auspicious South Indian wind-musical instrument.
• The teenager spends an average of six hours a day practicing music under the guidance of his father.
• Lydian has been going to Chennai’s KM Music Conservatory, run by Oscar winner AR Rahman, since past four years. He joined the institution to learn table, but eventually graduated to the piano.
• He can also play the guitar, mridangam among other instruments.
• A major part of support and encouragement in this journey came from Michael Novogratz, a well-wisher from New York who had gifted Lydian a Steinway and Sons Piano, which is considered as the world’s best piano and costs over a crore.
Celebs or commoners alike- the world is giving this wonder kid a standing ovation on social media for his historic win and stunningly unbelievable performance.
After @lydian_official‘s audition round where he played The Flight of the Bumblebee, world judge @NakulDevMahajan told him “Everyone here is proud. India is proud & now you are going to make the world proud.” Prophetic words, indeed 🎶#WorldsBest #LydianNadhaswaram @varshanmd 🎹 pic.twitter.com/Kv5zPk0Zgs
— V R Gaitonde (@weareji) March 14, 2019
Lydian wins #cbs#world’s best ! https://t.co/O27OABQCDS
— A.R.Rahman (@arrahman) March 14, 2019
And the Reaults are in … OH GOD … Sooo happy … 😘😘😘😘😘🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳😭😭👏👏👏. https://t.co/3KfyKV0sIm
— Ranganathan Madhavan (@ActorMadhavan) March 14, 2019
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) February 27, 2019
— The World’s Best (@WorldsBestCBS) March 14, 2019